The Berkshires is an excellent place to gain experience at a variety of creative economy businesses and organizations. Internships may vary by season. Check out some of these opportunities available now!
Do you have an internship opportunity you would like to share? Click here.
1Berkshire Seeking Intern
Are you looking for hands-on work experience to boost your resume, develop new skills, or put classroom knowledge to practical use before landing that first job?
1Berkshire is seeking a part time intern to assist with developing programs, events, and other projects related to economic development. Interns must be creative, proactive, reliable, conscientious, and possess strong writing and language skills. This is a great opportunity for an individual looking to take ownership of several targeted projects while developing an overall understanding of economic development and the creative economy. To begin ASAP. Email resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Survey volunteers will work within the Museum, engaging visitors at the end of their visits and asking them to participate in the survey project. The survey is part of a program called Visitors Count!, administered by the American Association for State and Local History out of Nashville, TN. The Berkshire Museum Volunteer Application can be downloaded HERE.
The Development Office, which oversees the museum’s active membership program, special events, and annual fund program, is seeking a volunteer to assist with general clerical tasks such as filing and database support as well as provide assistance for special mailings, special events, membership sales, and various other functions when needed.
Production and Administration Internships
Berkshire Theatre Group offers internships and summer staff positions in both Production and the Administrative office. Applicants for the internship program need to be students with some theatre experience who are looking to expand their knowledge with hands-on work and mentorship from professional department heads. Staff members should have theatre experience and be prepared to lead and teach their department in a quick-paced environment. Each intern or staff member is a crucial part of the creation and operation of the festival from running professional shows, to building sets, costumes, to house managing and working in our marketing and development departments. This is the opportunity to gain familiarity and work experience in the theatre career you are headed towards. College credit is available by request.
Nonprofit Management Intern
The Bidwell House Museum in Monterey, MA, seeks an organized, detail-oriented college student or recent graduate for a part-time position in our small office during the summer season. The Nonprofit Management Intern works with the Executive Director and helps to run the historic house museum. The intern will learn about and participate in a full range of museum activities including fundraising and event management, memberships, outreach, publicity and marketing using traditional and social media.,. The intern will also give tours of the historic house. A great job to learn about museum and non-profit management in a wonderful historic house!
Chesterwood, a Historic Site of the National Trust for Historic Preservation and a Massachusetts and National Historic Landmark, in Stockbridge, MA, seeks a part-time, curatorial intern for fall 2015 (September-December 2015). Local undergraduate, graduate or post-graduate student with an interest art, history and museum work are encouraged to apply. This is a paid, part-time internship and requires at least 7 hours a week.
Hancock Shaker Village offers supervised, structured internships for anyone interested in the museum profession. Would you like to transcribe an original manuscript? How about learning how to care for and catalogue artifacts? Or perhaps you would like to work with children in our hands-on Discovery Room? These are just some of the project possibilities for interns at Hancock Shaker Village.
Summer Young Artist Program Internships
IS183 Art School is now accepting applications for intern positions to assist the Summer Young Artist Program, which will run from June 29-August 14, 2015, on weekdays from 8:30am to 4:30pm. Two to seven week internships are available for high school students age 15 and up as well as college students and graduates interested in teaching the arts.
Summer Festival Intern Program
- Be a member of the team executing one of the world’s most prestigious dance festivals.
- Experience a Festival environment offering world-class ballet, contemporary, cultural, dance/theatre, and jazz dance; more than 200 public events including artist talks, master classes, Community Program classes, open rehearsals, and free performances; access to one of the field’s most valuable dance archives; and professional advancement training in The School at Jacob’s Pillow.
- Receive on-the-job training and experience working with the Festival’s professional arts administration, documentation, and production staff.
- Gain a broad perspective on the international performing arts field.
- Live in an international community of artists, faculty, scholars, staff, students, and intern peers for 3 dance-filled months.
- Enjoy the rich heritage of this National Historic Landmark in the beautiful Berkshires of Western Massachusetts.
Kripalu School of Yoga Internship
Kripalu Center for Yoga & Health has a remarkable opportunity for a person who wishes to commit to a 12-month internship serving the Kripalu School of Yoga (KSY). This 35-hour per week position provides opportunities for deepening your personal yoga studies while learning a variety of skills to more confidently and skillfully share yoga in public classes, consultations, lectures, and other educational settings. The internship includes one-on-one mentorship of hands-on assisting, teaching of yoga classes, facilitating practice teaches, KSY program coordination, and school leadership responsibilities. In addition, interns have access to the large variety of yoga workshops offered at Kripalu to enrich their personal practice and study.
Summer Rental Shop Internship
The summer Rental Shop Intern will gain hands on experience maintaining equipment, preparing shop orders, helping with load ins/outs, etc. Limelight is located in the culturally-rich Berkshires, home to many world renowned theatres and summer festivals, many of whom are Limelight clients. (This internship position provides a salary, but does not include housing.) Limelight has been custom designing and installing lighting systems, rigging, and stage curtains, as well as providing production, scenic art and lighting supplies to the entertainment industry since 1972.
Production & Administration Internships
MASS MoCA offers a variety of seasonal internships in production, administration, curatorial, development, and other fields. This is a great opportunity to get experience working for a busy cultural organization.
Berkshire Hills Internship Program (B-HIP)
The Berkshire Hills Internship Program (B-HIP) is an intensive arts management internship program that combines hands-on work experience with classes taught by arts administration faculty, talk-backs with the area’s leading arts professionals, and the chance to fully participate in cultural events throughout Berkshire County. B-HIP offers educational and career advancement opportunities that are hard to find elsewhere!
The Norman Rockwell Museum is offering a variety of internships in education, development, patron services, archives, and curatorial. Interns provide important support for Norman Rockwell Museum’s staff, volunteers, and visitors. This internship program focuses on valuable hands-on experience and will include training or formal instruction where needed. As an intern you will:
- Become a member of the team responsible for caring for and interpreting the largest collection of Norman Rockwell’s original art in the world;
- Receive on-the-job training and experience working with professional staff;
- Gain broad understanding of museum work and Norman Rockwell’s contribution to the field of illustration;
- Enjoy the museum’s 36-acre campus, galleries, and diverse programming.
Arts Management & Marketing Intern
Seeking a responsible, enthusiastic, and capable student in arts administration, business, or studio art to work directly and closely with the Director of Marketing and Communications. Internship schedule can include working both on site and virtually.
- Interns will learn how a small arts education organization builds and maintains relationships with students, faculty, and related organizations.
- Interns will learn how to create digital and print promotional material and communications.
- Interns will learn how to run and evaluate multiple social media campaigns simultaneously.
- Interns will acquire a portfolio of e-marketing writing samples.
- Interns will participate in the strategic planning of programs and events.
- Interns will contribute substantially to the organization’s mission and goals.
Sohn Fine Art is currently accepting applications for internship positions at Sohn Fine Art Gallery. Applicants must have an active interest in the arts, particularly in photography and arts management. Apply if you are looking to work in a multi-functional, innovative environment. Intern will be very hands-on, participating in all of the workings of the Gallery. Occasionally, intern may be able to assist on shoots or help with editing for Cassandra Sohn Photography, LLC.
Sohn Fine Art is currently accepting applications for internship positions at Sohn Fine Art Giclee Printing. Applicants must have an active interest in the arts, particularly in fine art printing. Apply if you are looking to work in a multi-functional, innovative environment. We are an art gallery, but we also produce archival giclee (pigment) prints and offer photographic services. Intern will be very hands-on, participating in all of the workings of a printing and framing studio, and will gain knowledge in fine art, archival printing processes. Occasionally, intern may be able to assist on shoots or help with editing for Cassandra Sohn Photography, LLC.
Coordinator of Community & Family Events Intern
The Clark is seeking an intern to coordinate a variety of community and family activities to encourage new audiences to participate in Clark programs. This one-year position will perform a variety of duties to provide support for the Director of Adult, Community and School Programs and for department activities. The successful candidate will:
- Provide logistical and creative planning/implementing/management of community and family programs
- Develop event budgets and manage contracts for hired entertainment and other outside workers
- Take care of logistical planning such as reserving space, transportation, etc. as needed for events
- Assist with self-guides and other materials for family/”laypeople” audiences
- Assist with our ongoing programs such as RAISE, New Parents, Start with Art, Head Start with Art, and Meet Me at the Clark as well as research other museums and the programming they offer
- Propose new programming when inspired
- Provide outreach for our programs and to the community on behalf of our programs
- Maintain and utilize the database for the family mailing list, prepare mailings as necessary, and produce and disseminate program statistics as needed
- Provide word processing, filing, copying services, and other activities for education programs and staff
Non-profit Administration Internships
They Dance For Rain is looking for interns to assist with various administrative tasks involved with the planning of and fundraising for our fifth residency in Nairobi, Kenya slated for January 2016. Interns can choose one or more tasks to fulfill the agreed upon terms of their internship. This is a great opportunity for a high school or college student, or recent graduate looking for experience in the nonprofit sector and in arts management and international service. You will have the rewarding experience of connecting with and bringing visibility to people from a culture completely different from our own. You will gain skills and experience in the logistics of organizing and implementing an international visionary project. You will learn about the value of the strong relationships that form between people across cultures when collaborating artistically. You will gain leadership skills. This is presently a volunteer position.
The Trustees of Reservations is seeking applicants to participate in its 12-week summer 2015 internship program. The interns will work on Trustees properties throughout the West Region, although the focus of the stewardship component of the internship will be at Naumkeag, a Trustees property in Stockbridge, Mass. Interns will participate in an informal series of instructions which will include lectures, demonstrations and work involving Trustees experts, as well as tours of other public gardens and Trustees properties. Interns will also participate in workdays with interns from other local garden and conservation organizations. This is a paid, 40 hour/week position expected to end in late August or early September.